Monday, January 31, 2011

The Challenges of Photographing Jewelry

Photographing jewelry is challenging, and often frustrating, for two main reasons...

First, since most jewelry is shiny, with reflections bouncing off every surface, lighting is one of the most important and trickiest elements to work out. With a digital camera, getting just the right amount, size, color, and placement of lighting is vital.

The other critical and challenging element in jewelry photography is getting sharp, close up photos that show the jewelry's detail, beauty, and depth of field.

I, apparently, do not have the knack of doing it yet, or perhaps my little Sony digital camera is not adequate for the job. When in doubt, blame the technology, not the user who may or may not know what they are doing. *smile*

My attempts this evening to get some good photos of the new sterling silver pendants got me a bunch of out-of-focus pics with bounced back glare that almost blinded me! It gave me a headache too...time to 'step away from the camera' tonight and take a fresh leap at it tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. You should try taking the pictures in natural daylight with out a flash. It's not quite as good as using a light tent and having a fancy camera,but it does work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have had a moderate amount of success taking photos that way....usually outside at events. Today, with all the new snow out there, is not a day I'll be trying it though. *smile*

    ReplyDelete