Thursday, March 10, 2011

De-Clutter the FlyLady Way

Since I was having difficulty developing & maintaining a systematic plan for de-cluttering my house on my own, I went looking for some sort of resource to help me with the process.  A friend introduced me to the FlyLady.

The FlyLady is a personal online coach who will help you gain control of your environment.  She has a no-nonsense approach to getting your house & your life in order.  Her unique way of weaving housecleaning tips with humour & daily reflections about life is engaging.

You can follow along with the daily & weekly tasks directly from the website or join the e-list to get the information via e-mail.  Let me warn you though, there are a lot of messages sent everyday containing reminders to keep you on task, along with some inspiring & hearwarming stories.  She injects a lot of fun into the whole process to keep you motivated.

One of my favourite tasks is the '27-Fling Boogie'.  The name itself makes me smile and want to do it.  As fast as you can, you walk through your house with a garbage bag in hand & throw in 27 things to send to the trash bin.  Don't stop until you have all 27 items in the bag, then tie it up and pitch it!

Next, take an empty box and go through your home collecting 27 items to give away.  As soon as you finish filling the box, take it directly to your car to drop off at your local Goodwill. You will be less tempted to rescue anything from the box if it is already out of your house.  It feels good every time I do this and my home is becoming de-cluttered bit by bit.  She suggests that you sing 'Please Release Me, Let Me Go' from the perspective of stuff you are tossing out as you go.  Your family may think you've gone crazy!  LOL

For more information or to sign up, go to.....

No comments:

Post a Comment