Sunday, April 3, 2011

Lecture & Workshop Report

The Bricker Building at Sir Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo was a hub of activity yesterday.  Forward Into The Past, a one-day symposium on a broad range of historical topics, took place from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.   The open-format day is designed to allow academics, experimental archaeologists, members of the public, and members of various historical re-enactment and recreation groups to gather and explore history together.

Both Jerry and I conducted workshops at this event.  Jerry offered chain mail courses for beginner and advanced participants.  I presented the Myth & Symbolism of the Tree of Life throughout the ages and across cultures around the world.  After that, attendees each made a Tree of Life pendant to take home with them.  I wanted to share my students' work with you.  Aren't they fabulous?

 

   

I went to a French Beaded Flower making class in the morning.  It wasn't as difficult as I expected it to be and I managed to make a decent looking flower.  I was quite impressed with myself.  Unfortunately, it somehow got left at the venue.  It did not make it home with me.  *frown*  I will have to make another one, just to prove to everyone that I can do it.

I'm already looking forward to next years' event and planning to develop a new lecture topic.  It's kind of cool that I can now honestly claim that I have taught classes at a university!  I can check that off my 'life list' of things I want to do.  *smile*  What's next, I wonder?

No comments:

Post a Comment