Sunday, November 25, 2012

New Techniques: Embellishing Chain


I was flipping through an old issue of a jewelry magazine this weekend and picked up a tip on a new technique to embellish chain.  By weaving lace, cord or ribbon in the chain you can get a whole new look and change it from mundane to magnificent.

Here's what I started with...a simple antique brass chain and a carnelian doughnut pendant.


By weaving some mustard coloured wax cotton cord in and out, I got a whole different effect...


I can't say that I'm totally happy with the end results, but it's a first attempt using this technique and I learned a few lessons.


I will weave the cord through first, then attach the pendant separately next time, for sure.  The weight of the pendant is pulling too much on the cord.


The cord is knotted close to the clasp and a bit of jewelry cement holds it secure.  Very easy and simple technique with hundreds of possible variations.  I'll be trying this again.

2 comments: