Wednesday, March 5, 2014

De-Clutter Project 2014 - Week 10

Having lots of drawers and corners for storage can be as dangerous as a double edged sword. Yes, you have lots of room to store things BUT you probably (like me) end up storing things that you shouldn't.

Take, for example, the kitchen stuff (dishes, cutlery, etc.) that I've been hanging onto for my son...for the day that he will move out of my house and into his own place. At this point, however, I'm pretty sure that is NEVER going to happen so why hang onto them any longer? Even if he does finally fly the coupe, the thrift stores can outfit him with all he needs relatively inexpensively at that time.

And what about the drawer full of clothing that no longer fits my granddaughter? You know, the items I was keeping for when she came to stay over. As it turns out though, she usually comes with all the stuff she needs for her visit and I don't think we ever used anything in that drawer.

I've managed to fill a couple of boxes to take to the thrift store. They are now sitting by the front door to go out to the car in the morning. If I can get rid of another few hundred boxes of stuff, I might finally have control over it all. Alright, that 'may' be a bit of an exaggeration but you get my point. Let me tell you, it does seem like that much needs to go some days.

Oh, and I found a free online photo editor this week that can turn any picture into a kaleidoscope. How cool is that? You never know when that will come in handy. Have I mentioned that I get distracted easily? *smile*

What area do you intend to tackle this week? What do you think you will find? More importantly, what will you do with it?


7 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean, Bonnie. I've downsized twice in the last 5 years and I still have too much stuff. It's wonderfully liberating to do if only I could stop accumulating more stuff after the purge! (especially beads, etcetera). I'm enjoying your declutter project if only because I realize that there are many of us "hoarders" out there. Good on you for having the courage to do this with witnesses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one area that I'm really trying to discipline myself...NOT accumulating more stuff!! So far, so good.

      Delete
  2. I've come to a similar conclusion - that I need to stop hanging on to what I call my "what if?" Items if i ever want to live relatively clutter free. Things like "what if I need a box to put stuff in?" have resulted in a leaning tower of pisa boxes in the corner. And "What if I one day decide to learn how to sew?" Has resulted in boxes and bags of material, old clothes and offcuts that I am unlikely to ever use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a nasty little trap we all get caught in. And it's so hard to part with some of those things, isn't it? I mean, what if we need it some day? *some*

      Delete
    2. Oh yes such an easy trap! And every now and then I unexpectedly find a a use for something that i finally got rid of. Grrr!

      Delete
    3. But what are the odds that if we do need it some day that we a)remember we had it and b) remember where it is?

      Delete
    4. So true, Yvonne. I usually remember I have it, but I can never remember where it is. Except that it is in a 'safe place'.

      Delete