Wednesday, April 23, 2014

De-Clutter Project: Week 17

I'm an occasional follower of the FlyLady, an online resource for anyone trying to de-clutter their home and their life. Her topic this week really hit a nerve with me, 'Is Your Bedroom a Junk Yard?'.

Yes, it is. I hate to have to admit that but it's true.

"Are you still trying to sleep in the midst of a junk yard? You know exactly what I am talking about! Your bedroom! Over time it has become the graveyard for things that have no home. It is time for you to purge these things from your bedroom. I want your bedroom to be a haven for you each evening when you put your head on your pillow."

I began the process by cleaning off the top of my dresser. It was piled so high with stuff that you could not see the lovely quilted runner my mother made for me. There were receipts, coins, craft supplies, pay stubs, buttons, tools, jewelry and an assortment of other miscellaneous items on it. None of those things belonged there.

It looks a lot better now, much improved. I can actually see and admire the Fenton glassware, my great-grandmother's jewelry box and the vintage milk glass lamp I bought at an antique store.


Purging the drawers will be the next task. I know there is a ton of stuff in those that shouldn't be!

What area do you intend to tackle this week? What do you think you will find? More importantly, what will you do with it?


3 comments:

  1. I sometimes check out the FlyLady too. She had my kitchen sink so shiny I was almost afraid to use it! LOL As for the bedroom dressers, I know exactly what you mean. Where does that stuff come from? And why does it insist on coming back? Good job, and such a nice little display when there's nothing there to distract from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to belong to the FlyLady e-list but there were so many e-mails every day that it got a little over-whelming. She is a good source for motivation when you need it though. As for all the stuff that ends up in our bedrooms, someone brings it in there. And that 'someone' is probably us.

      Delete
  2. That's a lovely, neat area Bonnie. My bedroom is no-go area at the moment. I've started setting myself smaller targets since I've had so much trouble finding time and sense of purpose for the bigger tasks recently. Seen as a whole it's so overwhelming. I've set myself 1 small de-clutter task for next week with an eye on maybe a second if I don't get tied up elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete