Sunday, May 22, 2016

Artistic Block

I’m watching lots of art tutorials and admiring the work of so many fabulous artists online. There are so many techniques that I want to try, so many ideas swirling around my head.

But when it comes down to getting started...putting that first bit of paint down onto paper or canvas...I’m totally intimidated. What if it doesn’t look ‘good’? What if I make a ‘mistake’? The world will surely collapse around me! Right?

I know, I can hear you all now. There are no mistakes in art. Art is a creative expression of your thoughts and feelings. There is no wrong or right, no good or bad. Intellectually, I know and understand this.

Try to tell that to my conflicted brain! The right side (creative) and the left side (logical) start to battle as soon as I sit down at the work table in my studio/office. I pull out materials, lay them out in front of me, and freeze.

 When I have been able to suspend belief though, the results have impressed even me. Take this art journal page that I recently did. After watching a video and working on the cat for quite some time, I was going to throw it out. After all, it wasn’t as ‘good’ as the one in the video. And any attempt at 'fixing' it seemed to make it worse.

However, anyone that I shared a photo of it with thought it was fabulous. So, I took a few deep breaths and plunged in. I committed myself to moving forward and finishing the page in spite of my reservations.

Surprising even me, it turned out pretty good. How can I shut down that logical side of my brain more often and allow art to happen as it should?

4 comments:

  1. I go through this very same thing too! I can so relate. I get intimidated, I freeze, I circle in my brain about wanting to start and being afraid to start. It's so frustrating.

    We just have to take that first step. After every small step it becomes a little less intimidating and a bit more in reach.

    Still that first step! It's a big one however small it might seem to others.

    Congratulations on having taken that step and creating those gorgeous cats! I'm in the camp of those who absolutely love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've been working real hard at embracing imperfection. *smile*

      Delete
  2. Well I think you have come a long way in leaps and bounds, I don't even remember how long it has been for you in the wonderful world of art now...is it two years yet? Anyway, its been fun watching you grow. I am 7 years in the world of art now and I know I am still growing....keep it up you will even amaze yourself some day as I have...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been numerous occasions already when I've amazed myself. Did I really create that on my own? Wow, I did!

      Delete